What We Do
How it Works
The Downtown Fresno Partnership is defined as a Property-based Business Improvement District (PBID). California State Law defines PBIDs in the California Streets and Highways code 36600 as a property and business owner collaborative forming a partnership between the public and private sector, organized for the improvement of a specific commercial area. In this structure, the property owners determine the boundaries of the PBID and how much they are willing to spend to allow for the services they desire in the district. A PBID provides services over and above those provided by the city. A PBID is governed by a private non-profit corporation made up of the property owners.
All funds raised are returned to the private non-profit corporation governing the district, which is responsible for managing the district and delivering district services. PBIDs have a defined life, which cannot exceed five years, pursuant to the PBID law. Property owner support is required for renewal and the formation process must be followed. The Downtown Fresno Partnership was established on January 1, 2011 and was approved for renewal in 2015.
Who We Serve
Through leadership, partnership, and advocacy we serve the City of Fresno, the business community, Fulton Street and other downtown merchants, public and private agencies, and the community at large.
The Board of Directors for the Downtown Fresno Partnership represents a diverse selection of community members, united in their passion for a revitalized downtown Fresno.
What We Do
The Downtown Fresno Partnership is leading downtown Fresno toward its future as a vibrant hub of business activity by promoting downtown’s image; supporting physical improvements and development; advocating for merchants; and hosting special events that bring new life to the historic core of our city. Specifically, what do we do?
Work to improve the downtown physical environment by:
- Improving signage and adding banners
- Removing litter and installing/maintaining new garbage receptacles
- Adding new landscaping and improving existing landscaping
- Deploying overnight security to work in tandem with Fresno PD
- Understanding the resources available for the homeless/transient population and working to mitigate the impact on the downtown business community
- Working with the City of Fresno closely to address any maintenance or repair issues
Strengthen the downtown business community by:
- Publishing quarterly updates on business development and investment
- Hosting a regular speaker series that addresses common business concerns – Downtown Investor Series with Veronica Stumpf
- Creating a business network that encourages exchange among businesses
- Becoming a conduit between property owners, brokers, business owners and the business resources that create viable business opportunities
- Marketing downtown as a whole and the business community through various promotions, networks, events, social media and internet vehicles
- Recruiting new businesses to downtown Fresno by demonstrating the growth potential and the vision
Program the central business district in an effort to showcase the community and engage a variety of audiences by:
- Producing a variety of events around downtown including the Market on Kern, Fiestas Patrias, the Downtown Christmas Parade, and the State of Downtown
- Encouraging other organizations to produce events in downtown and assisting where appropriate to ensure their success
- Marketing all downtown events through our website, newsletters and social media